The United Nations 70th General Assembly has designated 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development.
This is a unique opportunity to raise awareness of the contribution of sustainable tourism to development among public and private sector decision-makers and the public,
while mobilizing all stakeholders to work together in making tourism a catalyst for positive change.
The IY2017 will promote tourism’s role in the following five key areas:
(1) Inclusive and sustainable economic growth
(2) Social inclusiveness, employment and poverty reduction
(3) Resource efficiency, environmental protection and climate
(4) Cultural values, diversity and heritage
(5) Mutual understanding, peace and security
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) has been mandated to facilitate the organization and implementation of the International Year, in collaboration with governments, relevant organizations of the United Nations system, international and regional organizations and other relevant stakeholders.
To find more about IY2017 please visit